Inspired by Wes Bos and his project, uses.tech.
Computer & Workspace
- Computer: I use a 2019 16" MacBook Pro (i9/32GB/2TB) for everything (work + personal). The physical escape key and fixed keyboard is amazing.
- Chair: When I sit, I sit on an Ikea Markus office chair, but I stand almost 100% of the time.
- Desk: My desk is a Fully Jarvis standing desk (which I love) with the Bamboo top (which I don't recommend). If you're looking for a great sit-stand desk, I highly recommend Jarvis. Also, purchase directly from Fully vs. Amazon. Fully's customer support is incredible.
- TB3 Hub: I can only imagine Apple tried and failed to make a decent Thunderbolt 3 dock since that's the only reasonable explanation for getting rid of all the ports and providing no hub, so I use a great one from CalDigit. It handles 5K @ 60hz as well as providing 85W of power, which is a bit less than the 100w requirement, but is plenty to let me plug one single cable into my computer.
- Monitor: My primary display is a single 32" 4K Dell U3219Q, which can also be used as a USB-C dock. I used the 27" version of this monitor previously and really like them both.
- Webcam: It's a bit pricey, but the Logitech Brio webcam is 4K and has some nifty options. It can make you look pretty good even a poorly-lit room.
- Keyboard & Mouse: I use the Apple Magic Keyboard and the Logitech MX Ergo trackball mouse.
Audio & Recording
- Microphone: I use the Rode Procaster Dynamic Broadcast Microphone which is affixed via shock mount to a Rode PSA 1 Boom.
- Preamp & Audio Interface: Audio from my microphone passes through the Cloudlifter CL-1 mic activator, which gives it a decent gain boost, and is piped into my computer via the M-Audio 192|4 interface.
- Headphones: For recording and general listening, I use the Bose QC 35 ii and if I need to eliminate latency or monitor my mic I plug them into my audio interface. For editing, I use the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I absolutely love the coiled cable that came with the ATH-M50x, so I use that with my Bose headphones as well (and even bought a backup).
- Studio Monitors: I'm far from an audiophile and have no studio monitors. When I'm listening to music in my office I use my built-in MacBook Pro speakers. gasp
Apps & Services
- Editor & Terminal: I use Visual Studio Code and Hyper Terminal – both with Cobat2 theme because of its amazing contrast.
- Password Manager: I manage all my logins, passwords, keys, pins, account numbers, and more in 1Password.
- Notes: I use Google Keep as a brain dump. Any list or idea or thing I need to remember gets put into a Keep note. I like it because it has a great iOS app and a web app.
- To Dos: Todoist is my to-do list app and I use it every day for work and personal projects and reminders.